Who is eligible to apply?
All active individual theater practitioners – those whose life’s work is the theater, regardless of amount of income from said work – and all operational non-profit organizations of Greater Boston and the surrounding areas are eligible to apply for TCBF funds. It is expected that individual applicants have an established and documented history of theatrical performance, directing, design, writing, production, or administration in Greater Boston and/or the surrounding areas.
What emergencies fall within TCBF funding parameters?
TCBF funds may be applied toward costs associated with, but not necessarily limited to:
- Extreme illness
- Devastating acts of nature such as floods or hurricanes
- Housing emergencies
TCBF funds do not cover costs associated with, but not necessarily limited to:
- Failed business ventures
- Elective medical surgery
- Tuition for classes or academic programs
- Regular living expenses
A review panel comprising the TCBF Board of Directors and the Executive Director of StageSource assesses all applications. The process is as follows:
- Applicants are asked initially to submit an Intent to Apply Form as soon as possible after the occurrence has happened or as soon as possible after invoices for the related expenses have been received.
- The panel will assess the information therein and then notify the applicant as to whether or not the situation meets the criteria for further review within thirty (30) calendar days of receipt of the Intent to Apply form.
- If the criteria is met, the applicant will be asked to submit a full application within forty-five (45) calendar days of notification. Individuals are sent the Individual Application form and theater companies are sent the Organizational Application
- The panel will assess the full application, and applicants will be notified of the panel’s determination in writing within thirty (30) calendar days of receipt of the full application form.
- If a grant is awarded, the financial assistance, in most cases, will be paid directly to service providers (hospitals, doctors, utilities, mortgage companies, etc.) Grants paid directly to the applicants are disbursed within thirty (30) calendar days of an award determination.
- An applicant may apply up to three times for the same need/occurrence. An applicant may apply only once per calendar year for the same need/occurrence.
The Theatre Community Benevolent Fund shall not practice discrimination against any applicant for any reason including on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, political persuasion or belief, age, or disability.
For more information or to request an application be mailed to you, you may contact the Theatre Community Benevolent Fund at TCBFBoston@gmail.com or StageSource at either firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-350-7611.